Lake Tahoe Wildfire Awareness Campaign Virtual Series 2021January 12th, 2022
Below are the recordings and presentations from the “Living With Fire Virtual Series”, part of Lake Tahoe Wildfire Awareness Campaign, 2021.
Reduce the threat of wildfire and learn about firewise landscaping around your home.
Wendy Hanson Mazet, Certified Arborist, and Extension Plant Diagnostician. She has expertise in horticulture, arboriculture, noxious weeds, and vegetable and low water use gardening.
Wildfire Evacuation Preparedness
- Carson City Fire Department’s Deputy Emergency Manager, Jason Danen, spoke about emergency notification systems such as Code Red and other forms of communication to the public during a wildfire.
- Skyland Fire Adapted Communities’ leader and Douglas County CERT member, Ann Grant, discussed items to prep for an evacuation-go bag and a stay box.
- Living With Fire Program Manager, Jamie Roice-Gomes reviewed the Living With Fire Program website features to aid with evacuation preparation.
Wildfire Smoke and Health
What are the potential health impacts of wildfire smoke and how can communities prepare for smoke?
- Chris Smallcomb, National Weather Service – Reno office meteorologist and public information officer discusses smoke forecasting and models utilized to predict smoke.
- Brendan Schnieder, air quality specialist with the Washoe County Health District’s Air Quality Management Division discusses wildfire smoke and health impacts.
Home Hardening Q&A
Living With Fire hosted a question and answer (Q&A) workshop focused on “home hardening” or building or retrofitting homes to withstand wildfire. To watch a former presentation on this topic view the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-g4-…
Dr. Steve Quarles, University of California Cooperative Extension Advisor Emeritus and the retired Chief Scientist for Wildfire and Durability, Insurance Institute for Business & Home Safety Research Center.
Prescribed Fire in Tahoe in Nevada
Learn about prescribed fire Nevada and the Lake Tahoe basin.
- Keegan Schafer, fuels management officer with the Tahoe Douglas Fire Protection District
- Duncan Leao, forest fuels and vegetation program manager with the U.S. Forest Service – Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest
Category: Living With Fire Virtual Series, 2021