Celebrate July 4th SafelyJune 28th, 2019
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Tia Rancourt
Public Education/Information Officer
North Lake Tahoe Fire Protection District
CELEBRATE JULY 4TH SAFELY
Everyone enjoys fireworks during the Fourth of July. The North Lake Tahoe Fire Protection District would like to remind everyone to enjoy them safely and responsibly. You can enjoy your holiday and the fireworks with just a few simple safety tips for you and your family:
- Leave fireworks to the professionals. The use of fireworks are illegal in Washoe and Douglas County.
- The safest way to enjoy fireworks is to attend a public display conducted by professionals.
- Please keep matches and lighters out of children’s reach.
- Never leave young children alone with an open flame.
- Teach children that fireworks are not toys. Explain the dangers and ask your children to tell an adult if they find fireworks or another child playing with them.
Fireworks are illegal to possess or discharge on any property, including US Forest Service, public or private in the Tahoe Basin. This includes all consumer fireworks (fireworks purchased by individuals) known as “safe and sane” brought in from out of state. Washoe County, Douglas County and Carson City provide for civil and criminal penalties for possession and/or use of fireworks. The use of consumer fireworks can lead to devastating burns, other injuries, fires and even death. Not only are safety precautions a concern, the cost of suppression and any other injury or liability caused by fireworks is the direct responsibility of those persons using fireworks. Anyone with fireworks may turn them into any fire station in any fire district without penalty at any time.
Remember to use extra caution this 4th of July holiday. Please extinguish cigarettes in proper designated receptacles and leave the fireworks to the professionals. Incline Village/Crystal Bay fireworks launched off-shore from Incline Beach, can be widely viewed from many areas of the community at dusk (approximately 9:30p.m.) on Thursday, July 4, 2019.
Also, we welcome the community to our Community Pancake Breakfast on Friday, July 5, 2019 8 – 10a.m. at station #11, 875 Tanager Street, Incline Village, NV 89451.